Monday, October 8, 2012

Becoming Fishers of Men


Elder Holland this past weekend during General Conference spoke about the First and greatest commandment of all-that being Love. Loving God with all our hearts, might, and minds is the first commandment and by far the greatest of them all. Ever other commandment hangs from the basis of this one. Holland tells of the interaction between Christ and Peter after Christ was crucified and walks on the water towards his disciples. He rebukes Peter and asks him "Lovest thou me?" Peter's reply was firmly "Yea Lord." The Great Jehovah asks another two more times, with each time bewildering Peter I would assume to ask such a question while in Peters mind it was so clear that he did indeed love His Savior. But Peter's actions did not denote that he truly loved Jehovah for he returned to his old ways by going fishing, doing what he knew the best. Christ in a way told Peter that if I need fish I can get fish but I need Disciples.

As he told his disciples in the very beginning of their journey cast your nets aside and I will make you fishers of men. This second time he tells him the same thing saying Follow me and I will make you fishers of me. The commandment to Love the Lord is in-laced so minute but embedded so powerfully and fully. As we love the Lord we will follow Him and keep his commandments. We show our love to God by doing what he asks us to do, was we follow him he will make us fishers of men. He will help us to bring others to the Gospel, for this is Gods glory and purpose. He cannot do it alone, he needs disciples as he has told Peter. We all can change and become fishers of men, but we must first love God and cast our nets aside.

Other great websites to visit:
Mormon.org
Book of Mormon
Bible
LDS.org