Sunday, September 11, 2016

Ponderize 2 Nephi 5:27

Coming to San Diego wasn't necessarily my choice, my heart was set on Utah but I learned that Utah wasn't the Lords will for me. Acting on faith and trust in Christ I came to San Diego, but I wasn't happy and this past week was still difficult. I felt an intense feeling of homesickness and an overwhelming feeling of anxiety, I wasn't happy.

Being aware of my unhappiness I chose this scripture from 2 Nephi 5:27 which states, "And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." 

On my mission, one of my companions shared with me the pattern of happiness Nephi speaks of in 2 Nephi chapter 5. In being aware of my unhappiness and homesickness I thought it would be valuable to study this chapter to better understand this verse and know what I can do to live after the manner of happiness. 

There are at least 10 things Nephi states within the chapter that influences their manner of happiness. My challenge to all who read this is to do your own study of this chapter and find those 10 things Nephi talks about. 

San Diego Temple
I decided to write Nephi's 10 things down on a piece of paper and then come up with my own 10 things. Some are similar to what Nephi talks about but there are a few that differ. 

My Manner of Happiness (10 Things)
1. Study/read scriptures
2. Keep journal/gratitude
3. Pray every morning and night
4. Attend Church
5. Attend Institute every week
6. Attend Temple once a week
7. Exercise/run
8. Serve someone
9. Honor my covenants
10. Explore/discover one new thing about the area

There were a couple of things that I knew would help me feel happiness here in San Diego. Those were: attend institute, attend the temple, serve someone, go to church, and find one new thing I didn't know before about area I live in.

Choosing to be Happy
Many of us believe that we can't be happy or think that we will be happy once something happens or stops happening. "When I get a job I will be happy." "When I get married I will be happy." "I will be happy when....." The list goes on but the truth of the matter is that we can chose to be happy now, no matter what happens. It is our choice to be happy and we can do things that will create happiness within us. 

Coronado Island overlooking Downtown San Diego
I really focused on exploring more of San Diego. After class on Thursday I drove to Coronado Island to sit on the beach. Coronado is the one place that holds memories for me with family. I ended up on the east side of the island looking out to downtown San Diego. Memories came back to me and as I sat there on the beach I was reminded of Madison for the first time since leaving. An overwhelming emotional peace came over me and I felt so much love from my Father in Heaven. 

Moments can provide us with happiness but we also need to be active in achieving happiness. I wasn't going to be happy sitting in my room the entire weekend wishing I was back home in the comfortability of Wisconsin. There were things I could to do be happy. And there are things you can do to feel happiness.

"Happiness is a condition of the soul. This joyous state comes as a result of righteous living." Benjamin De Hoyos "True Happiness: A Conscious Decision"

"So much in life depends on our attitude. The way we choose to see things and respond to see things and respond to others makes all the difference. To do the best we can and then to choose to be happy about our circumstances, whatever they may be, can bring peace and contentment....We can't direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails. For maximum happiness, peace, and contentment, may we choose a positive attitude." President Thomas S. Monson "Living the Abundant Life