Sunday, August 7, 2016

Ponderize D&C 123:17

Last October Devin G. Durrant, First counselor in the Sunday School General Presidency gave a talk, in which he invited all members to "ponderize" one verse of scripture each week.

For me I loved the idea and thought of pondering a scripture every week, but as I attempted to implement it into my daily life I found it to be a great struggle. First, I didn't understand how to effectively ponder a scripture, I still don't. Second, as the week past I felt that one week was too short to ponder one scripture but struggled to establish a time frame that was appropriate to ponder and set a new scripture.

Still struggling to implement this counsel into my life, I have decided to post every week a scripture I have selected. I will include my thoughts and feelings that have come from pondering the selected scripture. My hope is that I will be more accountable and that maybe those who read these posts will gain something from them.

Two years ago I came upon this verse that impressed me. It resonated with me because at the time I was struggling to find a job, and an internship to finish my degree. And today it relates so well to me as I am striving to find housing in a city where I know no one.

D&C 123:17
"Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."

"Do all things that lie in our power"
             What is your part?
             What can you do?
     Consider looking for a job. Now we do not automatically get a job by chance, okay maybe a few by rare chance. But the general rule for us is that we must put in the effort, we need to do our part in order to find a job. A job is not going to just appear on our door step with an offer. We need to make a resume, seek for open jobs, and apply to those jobs.
     In every situation in life, whether its finding a job, spouse, or housing, we need to do our part. There is effort required on our end, and if we do our part we will be able to find what we seek.

"Stand still, with the utmost assurance"
    "Now God tends to do everything backwards; we worship a backwards God, in a sense. I say, 'Lord, help me understand and then I can believe.' But in the scriptures, the Lord says, 'No, believe and then you will understand.' I say that's backwards, and He says, 'No, you have it backwards.' So here the Lord says, 'Be comforted, and rejoice, give thanks, then I'll answer your prayers.' And I say, 'Lord, answer my prayers, and then I'll be comforted, rejoice, and give thanks.' That is backwards." (S. Michael Wilcox "Bread or Stones: Understanding the God We Pray to")

    For me, standing still with assurance is one of the hardest things to do. I like to be prepared and know before hand the things that will happen so I feel confident enough to approach them. Comfort comes when I know and understand, but as Michael Wilcox has stated this is not the God we worship. We are asked to have comfort and peace first, then our answers will come. How frustrating it is at times to be reminded of this, but how beautiful it is to learn that we can stand still with assurance.

"Arm to be revealed"
    As we do our part we can have peace of assurance and find hope in knowing that God will do his part. In the last sentence of the first chapter of Nephi we read that the Lords tender mercies are over all of us. When we have done all we can for a situation we can say to ourselves, "I have done the best I can do, and I will leave the rest to God." There is no point to keep holding on and worrying about things that we cannot control after we have done all we can.

    I have found myself asking, "Have I done all that I could do, was what I've done enough?" Through seeking and asking I have better understood Gods voice and the process of doing, asking, and listening. When I do what I can do then go to the Lord in prayer, I tend to ask, "Lord, I have done all that I know to do and can do, but if there is more I can do then could you please let me know?" Many times I discover that God blesses me with more impressions to know what else I can do, what other avenues to try.

    You will be amazed at Gods hand in your life as you develop this process of doing, asking, and listening. I hope that as we do our part we will be blessed to see the Lords arm revealed to us through those daily tender mercies. We can stand still with assurance while waiting upon the Lord and know He does hear us, He knows what we are going through, and He will answer. He will not fail us.