Thursday, August 18, 2016

Headlights, Bitterness, & Gratitude

No Headlights
On my trip out to California I noticed that my car was giving off a distinct smell as I came into Vegas. In my mind I envisioned burning wires, but I would soon found out that it was burning plastic. My first thought was the A/C unit since the fan motor would occasionally make a funny sound. Turning it off and rolling the windows down did nothing to help the smell.

Continuing down the road I noticed that the high beam light was on within my dashboard. Finding it weird I tried to turn the light for my high beams off but nothing worked. Within a couple of minutes I no longer had headlights traveling down I-15 at 9pm.

Finding a road I recognized I turned off and pulled into the McDonald’s parking lot. I tried to turn off and on my lights but had no luck in getting my headlights to turn on. I ended up calling my dad. While talking through the situation, I discovered that the connector to the steering wheel was burnt. The cause was the fog lights being on, I never used before until this trip. (So moral of my story don't use fog lights.)

With the help of my dad, I was able to rig a connection between the live wire and the headlights.  The headlights came on and I was set to make the final five hours to my destination. But the headlights only lasted 5 minutes before the connection no longer worked due to the continued malfunction of the fog lights.

Stuck in Vegas with no working headlights to make the final five hours I found myself nervous and vulnerable. When I first pulled into the parking lot a guy kept coming up to me and trying to talk, then another guy. As I was traveling I was carrying cash so I felt more vulnerable and a target. On top of everything I was feeling I knew I wasn’t in the best part of town. I was only a few blocks from one of the worst parts of Vegas and I knew I couldn’t stay in that area for too long.

Bitterness
Frustrated and extremely tired, from getting three hours of sleep in my car the night before, I was losing my patience quick. I wanted to figure out what was wrong with the car and fix it, but these two guys kept interrupting me. I kept telling them I was fine and I could handle it because honestly I could handle it. When it comes to cars I’m pretty resourceful and can fix just about anything, since I grew up helping my dad fix cars. So I didn’t need help, I needed space and quietness to work.

Eventually, I found a hotel close by to stay the night. But even before getting my room I had problems finding the hotel registration desk. I asked a security guard but got confused once I started heading in the direction he told me. Asking for help a second time, I made an attempt to venture in the way I was told. Even then I ended up confused by the directions I was given and overwhelmed with everything. Things did work out and I was able to find the desk and get a room. 

Throughout this whole ordeal I was reminded of a scripture talking about how God will consecrate our afflictions for our gain. I found myself feeling a little bitter about the entire situation though. I wondered, “How in the world is He going to make this affliction for my gain? What good is going to come of this?“ I was tired, exhausted, I had a massive headache since earlier that afternoon, I didn’t smell good, and I was sick of the car. I just wanted to be at my destination already. I was over it, and wanted the day to end.

Gratitude
Even though I was getting bitter there were small moments of gratitude that I was blessed to recognize.
  • As my headlights quit working I thought, “Well if this is the worst that will happen with my car then I am grateful for it because it could be a lot worse than what it is.”
  • A text from a friend came an hour or two before helping me to remember to laugh, make light of your day and enjoy the journey.
  • I was grateful to have been in Vegas with car problems instead of another city. I lived in Vegas a few years ago so I knew the area well enough (the not so good areas, where certain things were, etc).  If I was in any other city I would have felt more uncomfortable and not as confident in what to do or where to go.
  • I was able to get a cheap hotel room that had enough room to store my bike for the night.
  • My car was still drivable during the day, just not at night.
  • The guys that kept coming up to me had good intentions and asked if I needed help. At least they were willing to ask to see if I needed help and if I was okay.
  •  Making it to the hotel without any more problems (using my high beams as headlights and taking two main roads to get to the hotel quickly).
  • Saying a prayer with my parents over the phone to help calm my nerves.
The Lesson

That night I knelt down beside my hotel bed and talked to Heavenly Father. I told Him my thoughts and feelings, telling Him I don’t understand why this was happening and what good was suppose to come of it but I knew He had a plan and I trusted Him and accepted His will. Also, I made sure to share all those things that I was grateful for because I know that hope lies within the little moments of light, they help us press forward when we feel like we cannot.

In the morning I woke and read a talk given by President Lee from the October 1972 General Conference session. Within the talk I read these words:

“That when an individual is ordained and appointed to lead the people, he has passed through tribulations and trials, and has proven himself before God, and before His people, that he is worthy of the situation which he holds.”

The phrase lead people and being a leader kept coming to my mind as I laid in bed the night before. This quote impressed upon my mind and heart that what I was going through was to help me. I was to prove myself before God through these tests and trials so that I may stand worthy for the appointments and callings that will one day come.

At times I feel like I am given more tests and trials than the average person, in those moments I have a tendency to ask why and get frustrated. But it is essential for us to remember, as I was reminded that morning, that we are given tests to prove our worthiness to lead others and help build the kingdom of God. 

God knows what He wants us to be. To get us from where we are to where He needs us to be takes a lot of stretching and pulling, which entails discomfort and pain. There is great truth and comfort in remembering that with every great trial comes great blessings. Blessings can be found all around us, we can be grateful even when things aren't going the way we hoped they would. Will we strive to try a little more to be a little better at looking for the good and being grateful for those small things in our life? We will be blessed so much more in our efforts to be grateful.