Sunday, October 27, 2019

20 Degrees Hotter - Refiner's Fire

On October 22nd, I almost posted about being involved in a shooting just seven months prior and reaching the point where I felt normal for once. But last Tuesday, I wasn't feeling well or normal. In fact, I noticed a pain in my neck. The following day, I noticed swelling. The swelling looked like my thyroid. Things progressively got worse from that time forward.

I attempted to set up an appointment with a doctor but every avenue I tried resulted in a dead end. Friday, I decided to go to an urgent care that my insurance suggested but the clinic was closed. I found myself in a nearby clinic talking to a lady about possible clinics that could see me that day. Exasperated, I thought about the situation and decided to go to the ER hospital in Edgerton because of the amazing care they provided with my past visits.  The medical staff are incredible and I couldn't ask for anything better than what they provide to their patients.

The past seven months have been the hardest and darkest months my life. I never thought I would experience the struggles or face some of the challenges I have faced in my life. But never imagined facing the implications and repercussions of a shooting. I've prayed for deliverance and healing at the beginning of this journey. I knew healing and deliverance would come but I never expected to feel normal for a week only to find myself facing another trial. I know for certain, the challenges I've faced in the past seven months prepared me for now. I know I can get through this because God has shown me that He is by my side. He has never left me and He never will leave me - it is not in His character.

"No matter how serious the trial, how deep the distress, how great the affliction, [God] will never desert us. He never has, and He never will. He cannot do it. It is not His character [to do so]...He will [always] stand by us. We may pass through the fiery furnace; we may pass through deep waters; but we shall not be consumed nor overwhelmed. We shall emerge from all these trials and difficulties the better and purer for them." - George Q. Cannon 

The ER doctor diagnosed me with a Thyroid Goiter. He called another doctor in the area and all three of us sat in his office talking about my situation. He went above and beyond his job to help me. I know this journey won't be easy but I know from past experiences it will be worth it. Even with the greatest darkness, we can find the greatest light. What this path looks like is extensive tests and appointments to determine what is going on and what to do. But I trust God and the journey that's laid before me. I will see marvelous blessings and greater joy and peace than before.

I've faced the refiner's fire for the past year and when I thought He was removing me from the fire He turned up the heat 20 more degrees. The only way for gold to develop its true pure color is to experience intense heat. When we pray for deliverance from a present trial we may in fact be handed another trial. We hold a limited perspective and view of the world around us. We place limits and expectations on what deliverance looks like and the gifts God gives to us. I know that all these trials have a higher and holier purpose. They are shaping and molding me into someone better and more fit for His kingdom. It doesn't mean it's easy but it will be worth it in the end. It's always worth it when it comes to God. There are blessings within the journey, we just need to adjust our eyes and lenses to see those blessings in order to feel happiness and joy.

"Dark gives meaning to the dawn, so does pain give meaning to pleasure, and sorrow to joy. All that we love, all that we strive for, all that we relish, we know only by contrast. The lesson of Creation is that the world acquires its meaning only through differentiation." - Fiona & Terryl Givens

"God does not instigate pain or suffering, but He can weave it into His purposes."