Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Suffer With Joy

Last year I heard a talk about feeling joy in life. Naively, I prayed to feel more joy in my own life. I didn't know what joy felt like or at least I never recognized the joy in my life. Months later I know now what joy feels like because of the suffering I've passed through.

A few weeks ago I was talking to my dad about the past couple of months of my life. I told him it seemed that this year has been full of trials. Looking back I've had more bad days than good, but he pointed out that those good days were GOOD days. And even with the bad days there was deep resounding good within them.

Have Joy
The Prophet Lehi taught, "Men are, that they might have joy" (2 Nephi 2:25). We are here to have joy, to experience this great deep feeling within us. But we tend to forget that in order to feel joy we must know its opposite-despair, heartache, suffering, and trials.

So how do we have joy?

Through the Spirit
In Mosiah 4:20 we read, "the Lord has poured out his spirit and caused hearts to be filled with joy." Joy comes by and through the Spirit. All good things come from God and in order to receive these things we must, indeed, have His Spirit with us. When we feel joy it is through the Spirit that it is possible. It's logical to assume that we need to do those things necessary to be worthy of God's Spirit, which means we need to repent and keep His commandments if we ultimately want to feel joy.

Focusing on Joy
"Joy is powerful, and focusing on joy brings God's power into our lives. As in all things, Jesus Christ is our ultimate exemplar, 'who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross' (Hebrews 12:2). Think of that! In order for Him to endure the most excruciating experience ever endured on earth, our Savior focused on joy!" -President Nelson

The joy the Savior focused on was an eternal joy, or perspective, that we all would be cleansed, healed, and strengthened. It was that joy of making it possible for all of us to return home to them. It was more than a hope it was a firm assurance that we would live again, perfect and complete in Jesus Christ. We can focus on this same joy to help us through our bad days, our bad weeks, and our bad years. 

Suffer with Joy
This past week I've had a hard time at work, but I felt deep joy (a feeling of warmth and overwhelming happiness within my heart). I found out that I did not get the position I applied for in Sweden, but even then I felt great joy. I was more excited to stay in San Diego than to go to Sweden because it means I will be here in the summer and do all the things I've been planning. Joy allowed me to see the positive of the situation and made those bad days not so bad.  Although I suffer, I am learning to suffer with joy.

"We can feel joy even while having a bad day, a bad week, or even a bad year!" 
-President Russell M. Nelson

Some days are not easy, it's a struggle at times to feel joy; but even in the midsts of the bad days, those moments of good does, indeed, over ride all the bad that comes-and that is a true gift from God.  We can feel great joy, it is possible and it is one of the most precious gifts we can receive from God. May we all learn to suffer with joy.